Coach’s Code of Conduct
1. You have responsibility for the behaviour of your team and its supporters. EXERCISE IT.
2. Be reasonable in your demands on the young player’s time, energy and enthusiasm. Remember that they have other interests and demands on their time.
3. Teach your players that laws of the game are mutual agreements, which no one should evade or break.
4. Ensure that all players get a game. The ‘just average’ players need and deserve equal time.
5. Remember that young people play for fun and enjoyment and that winning is only part of it. Never ridicule or yell at the players for making mistakes or losing a game.
6. The scheduling and length of practice times and games should take into consideration the maturity level of the players.
7. Develop team respect for the ability of opponents, as well as, the judgement of referees and opposing coaches.
8. Follow the advice of a doctor in determining when an injured player is ready to play again.
9. Remember that young people need a coach they can respect. Be generous with your praise when it is deserved and set a good example.
10. Make a personal commitment to keep yourself informed on sound coaching principles and the principles of growth and development of young people.
11. Encourage young people to develop basic skills and avoid overspecialisation in positional play during their formative years.
12. Create opportunities to teach sportsmanship, just as you would in teaching the basic skills.
13. Ensure that efforts for both skill improvement and good sportsmanship are rewarded by praise.
14. Ensure that skill learning and free play activities have priority over highly structured competitions for very young people.
15. INSIST ON FAIR PLAY, do not tolerate foul play, fighting, or foul language. Be prepared to take off an offending player.
16. Discourage excessive talk on the pitch.
17. INSIST on a disciplined approach by players and mean what you say.
18. Set a good example by personal good behaviour.
19. Do not approach a referee/touch judge at any stage during or immediately after a game.